Skip to main content

When The Pain Becomes Addicting



One thing about the love addict is that pain is all too familiar and comfortable. Do you ever ask yourself why do you continue to attract the same type of emotionally unavailable men? Maybe its because this is what you know as “normal”. I had mentioned before, that when you grow up in an environment where dysfunction is normalized, this tends to become your “normal”. Nevertheless, you may find yourself ending one relationship, just to enter into another relationship with a different person, but the same type of emotionally unavailable man. I came to this realization that our definition of a “normal healthy relationship “ is so skewed. What exactly is a normal healthy relationship. My father has never been in my life and my step father was physically and emotionally abusive. I learned that my “normal “ was tolerance. Learning to tolerate behaviors that were not normal, because if he was not hitting me then it was “ healthy in my eyes”. I learned to become comfortable in pain. I used to think that if I was not experiencing any type of emotional pain, then something must be wrong…… because any kind of stability is too uncomfortable for me. How many of you can relate to the excitement of the chaos. It hurts so much, but in a dysfunctional way, it makes you feel….When it is taken away, you began to feel this void again. In some ways, you may even subconsciously self- sabotage as a way to remain in this painful cycle with the need to “ feel loved or be loved by someone”. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Was The Last Time You Married That Man In Your Mind?

Have you ever been obsessed with someone? I mean obsessed to the point where you cant stop thinking about them. From the moment you wake up, to the moment you go to bed. They occupied your mind. It may even feel like you have no control; you try to distract yourself, however you find your mind returning back to your point of contact. You obsess about what this person is doing, fantasize about what you would like this person to be doing or what your plans for the future may entail. Let me tell you how fantasy can be very toxic for the love addict. My mom used to make this joke to me that “ I marry everyone I date”, meaning that by the time we get together, I've already picked out the wedding dress, the venue, where we are going to live and what our children will look like. The thing about obsessing and fantasizing about someone, is that often you create an image of this person that does not exist and you live this image in your head. When the person does not live up to th

Are Unhealthy Relationships The Norm?

I was sitting in the office of my colleague and we started talking about relationships. She is an older lady and has been in the field for over 20+ years, so I always love to get her feedback and wisdom. While I was talking to her, it dawned on me that many people learned how to have an UN-healthy relationship; never really learned what a healthy relationship consisted of. When you look back at some of the relationships you’ve had, do you ever ask yourself what was I thinking? How did I ever tolerate or accept something like this? Its funny how when we remove ourself from a toxic or unhealthy relationship and have time ( Sometimes you have nothing but time after a relationship ends) to reflect on it, we find that what we had was never deserving of our energy or our time. See, the problem with having a pattern of unhealthy relationships, is we have nothing to judge what a healthy relationship is. In other words we have nothing to compare it too, because we have never seen or known on

Healthy Versus Unhealthy Relationships

                                Love Makes Me Accept Crazy Things                         I have to give some back story on how this topic for my blog even came about. As I was sitting down messaging my clients, I had Jerry Springer broadcasting in the background. Normally, I don’t watch this, (I am serious); but for some reason ended up on this episode. Anyways, as I began watching this, the topic was regarding a man who was confessing to his girlfriend his faithfulness and how he would never cheat on her. She gave him an ultimatum that if he wanted to continue the relationship, then he would need to drop his female friends. Needless to say, he was cheating and this resulted in a full on fist-fight with other woman who he was having an affair with. Jerry asked him, do you love this woman? He stated “yes”, she then replied that “ love doesn’t make you do crazy things like this, this isn’t love”. You are asking yourself, did she really use Jerry Springe